Pages

Friday, August 28, 2015

Translation: Maître Gims - J'me tire

Leave it to my non-French-speaking husband to find me the next song I like enough to bother translating! He plugged in his phone the other night when coming back from the lab and played this for me and I haven't been able to get it out of my head since then.

Like all my translations, I tried my best to keep the spirit of the song alive, even if I veered away from a word-for-word translation at parts... hip-hop is sometimes difficult because of slang and allusions and I tried to keep that in as much as I was able (especially with my rusty French).

(The name Meugui at the end of the song is his name - Gims - in verlan which is French slang that flips the syllables of words.)



J'me tire
I'm out

J'me tire, me demande pas pourquoi j'suis parti sans motif
Parfois je sens mon cœur qui s'endurcit
C'est triste à dire mais plus rien n'm'attriste
Laisse-moi partir loin d'ici
Pour garder l'sourire, je me disais qu'y'a pire
Si c'est comme ça, bah fuck la vie d'artiste
Je sais qu'ça fait cliché d'dire qu'on est pris pour cible
Mais j'veux l'dire juste pour la rime

I'm out
Don't ask me why I just left like that
Sometimes I feel my heart hardening
It's sad to say but nothing makes me sad anymore
Let me go far away from here
To keep smiling, I tell myself it could be worse
But if it's like this, well then fuck the artist's life
I know it's cliche to say they want me clapped in chrome
But I've gotta say it for the sake of this song

J'me tire dans un endroit où j'serai pas l'suspect
Après j'vais changer d'nom comme Cassius Clay
Un endroit où j'aurai plus besoin d'prendre le mic'
Un endroit où tout l'monde s'en tape de ma life

I'm leaving for a place they'll never find me
Then I'll change my name like Cassius Clay
To a place where I will never need a mic
To a place where no one cares about my life

Si j'reste, les gens me fuiront sûrement comme la peste
Vos interviews m'ont donné trop d'maux d'tête
La vérité c'est que j'm'auto-déteste
Faut qu'j'préserve tout c'qu'il me reste
Et tous ces gens qui voudraient prendre mon tél'
Allez leur dire que j'suis pas leur modèle
Merci à ceux qui disent "Meu-gui on t'aime
Malgré ta couleur ébène"

If I stay, one day they'll avoid me like the plague
Your interviews have given me too many headaches
The truth is, I hate myself
I've got to preserve what's left of me
And all these people who want my number
Tell them I'm not their role model
Thanks to those who said "Meugui, we love you
Even though you're black" 

J'suis parti sans mentir, sans me dire
"Qu'est-ce que j'vais devenir ?"
Stop ! Ne réfléchis plus, Meu-gui
Stop ! Ne réfléchis plus, vas-y !
Parti sans mentir, sans me dire
"Qu'est ce que j'vais devenir ?"
Stop ! Ne réfléchis plus, Meu-gui
Stop ! Ne réfléchis plus, vas-y !

I've left, without lying, didn't ask myself
What will become of me?
Stop, don't think more about it Meugui
Stop, don't think, just go!
Left without lying, didn't ask myself
What will become of me?
Stop, don't think more about it Meugui
Stop, don't think, just go!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment thoughtfully and respectfully. All comments are moderated.